Thursday, May 14, 2009

Germany 4

I've done a lot of reflecting on my trip. I've learned that I'm not meant to be away like this from my family anymore. But more importantly I've been thinking a lot about how important my little family of 3 is to me and what I want for our future.

I think Nate has taken a lot away from this experience as well. He's been able to experience the joy of raising our son first hand - alone. He's watched the world through his eyes and seen and experienced a number of "firsts" first hand. Not that Nate wasn't always involved - but lets be honest - Riley's always been a Momma's boy so I kind of steal the show when I'm around. I'm so thankful for this sweet time they've had together and the memories that they've made. Of course I'm hoping that Riley will want to be a Momma's boy again upon my return, but I hope that we can really be the 3 Amigos as cheesy as that sounds. I so cherish my two boys. I'm so excited for what the future holds for our family, but want to live each day presently with them. It's the simple things in life that we get the most pleasure out of - I want to always keep that top of mind. I want to be sure that our house feels like a "home" that is full of Christ's love. That we live full of joy and express it to all who come in its doors.

I've been making a list of all the things I want to do to re-prioritize my life. So many things I've left for the back burner because I had to get work done. I want to be sure my husband knows how handsome I think he is and how thankful I am for his hard work and all he provides for our family. And yes, I do think it's great that he worksout as often as he does - have you seen him mow the lawn with his shirt off?!! I want to be sure Riley can experience life fully. I can't wait to go on bug and worm hunts with him when I return. For summer and playing outside in the sprinklers. For picnics at the park, the beach, the zoo - so much we will get to do together. Nate said the sweetest thing in a note to me about raising Riley - he mentioned the art of patience and not always saying "no" to him. We want him to not feel limited or back down from a dream out of fear of "no" - I'm so thankful my husband is so wise. We both know that Riley is going to be an amazing boy and man!

I've made the most of this experience. I've thought about how great it is that I've seen another part of the world. I've been humbled a bit being in a country where English is not the first language (Spanish doesn't get me too far here). I've been open to new experiences in food - whether I liked them or not is a different story. But I've also thought about what neat stories I have about this part of my life, my work, that I'll be able to share with my kids in the future. God has been so gracious to me - provided me every success to date and I'm so grateful that it's been Him and not me. On my own I don't think I would have started my own business and seen the success from it that I have. He's always sent the work when it was needed and I've always put it in His hands as to where it was going to go. So for now I'm feeling a total peace about this break, or vacation, or end time...we shall see what He has in mind next.

One more day of work and then a long flight home to see my sweet family. I love you both!!

No comments: